Making the resolution to lose weight in the New Year is a popular goal among members of the Bluffton community. After slowly packing on the pounds throughout the year, shedding the weight is a good idea for both males and females of all ages. Dentists are finding that the steps that you take to lose the weight can also be very beneficial for your teeth. When you follow these 5 tips, you’ll enjoy a slimmer waist and a healthier smile at the same time.
- Meal Planning: Plan for meals that include more lean proteins, fruits, vegetables, and whole grains each day. Choosing the right foods will give your body the fuel to perform better, feel better, and look better. Plus, foods that are fresh and clean will help to prevent cavities while keeping the gums healthier.
- Beverages: Drinking more water and avoiding artificial beverages is a smart way to flush toxins from your system and drop the pounds. Water is also the best beverage choice if you want to fight cavities and promote fresher breath.
- Sweet Tooth: A piece of sugarless gum after meals can help to keep your sweet tooth under control. You’ll be able to say no to cookies and other desserts, and you’ll take in fewer empty calories. As an added bonus, chewing gum without sugar will keep your teeth cleaner and reduce your risk for cavities.
- Working Out: Sports drinks are loaded with sugars and sugar substitutes, but staying hydrated during a workout is essential. Fill your water bottle from the water fountain at the gym and you can keep yourself hydrated while also benefitting from the cavity-fighting fluoride that comes from municipal water sources.
- Snack Time: Keep healthy snacks on hand to avoid making the wrong choices when snack time hits. Doing so will help you to avoid unwanted calories, and healthy foods like crunchy veggies and nuts actually help to keep your teeth cleaner.